Joe DiPietro is the Founder of DiPietro Family Law Group. He is an experienced family law attorney and litigator with an extensive background handling complex cases involving divorce, custody, paternity, property division, child support, alimony, modification, contempt, pre-marital agreements, separation and property settlement agreements. Joe has been practicing family law in Virginia and is also licensed in Washington, D.C. and New York. His ability to problem solve in a level-headed, professional and courteous manner has proven to provide positive results for his clients.
Joe’s philosophy and mission is to make family transitions a time for personal growth and powerful positive change. He has excelled at both settlement negotiations and litigation because of his deep understanding and first-hand experience in dealing with destructive consequences of family conflict. Joe is a firm believer in settling cases through settlement talks, negotiation and mediation. He is trained in mediation and collaborative law, and believes that these customized solutions to complicated problems help clients preserve relationships in the family and assets for the future.
Joe’s work has also included advocacy for child custody. He serves as Guardian ad litem and provides independent recommendations to the court about the client’s best interests and helps bring balance to the decision-making process. He has provided advice on cases involving minor children, abuse and neglect.
In addition to handling custody cases, Joe has experience dealing with cases involving tracing of funds, division of assets and valuation of business. His strong financial background allows him to converse easily with valuation experts and create comprehensive legal arguments involving complex financial concepts.
Joe is dedicated to providing objective guidance and recommendations. He is experienced in handling cases with international considerations that require intervention by the U.S. Department of State or that involve matters decided pursuant to The Hague Convention.
Joe is a believer of continued education and participates in Continuing Legal Education (CLE) programs to constantly keep up with the latest developments in the family law area, legislative changes and trends. He is a graduate of Loyola University (B.A.), American University Washington College of Law and Kogod School of Business, American University (M.B.A).
- Rated AV (Preeminent) by Martindale-Hubbell, 2013
- “Legal Elite” by Virginia Business Magazine, 2014
- Top 10 Family Law Attorneys Under the Age of 40 in Virginia, National Academy of Family Law Attorneys, 2014, 2015
- “10 Best” Attorneys for Virginia for Client Satisfaction, American Institute of Family Law Attorneys, 2015
- Super Lawyer, Rising Star 2015, 2016
- Appeals from J&DR to Circuit Court: Can the Statutory Right to a De Novo Appeal be Waived?, Family Law Quarterly (Virginia State Bar, Family Law Section), Summer 2014, at 15.
- Exclusive Use and Possession Pendente Lite: What Is the Standard, Family Law News (Virginia State Bar, Family Law Section), Fall 2013, at 6.
- Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Faces Chapter 11, Bloomberg Law Reports (Bloomberg Finance L.P.), September 2010, Vol. 4, No. 37.
- Empagran: First Step in Avoiding a U.S. Monopoly on Antitrust Enforcement, Business Law Brief (American University Washington College of Law), Spring 2005, at 38.
- Managing Financial and Legal Risks in a Challenging Economic Climate, Small Business Development Center 2011 Seminar Series
- Advanced Issues in Tax Aspects of Real Estate Transactions, Continuing Legal Education Presented by National Business Institute, 2011
- District of Columbia
- New York
- Alexandria Bar Association, Member, Board of Directors
- Fairfax County Bar Association, Family Law Section
- American Bar Association, Family Law Section
- American Bar Association, International Law Section
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia
- U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia
- U.S. Tax Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the Eastern District of Virginia
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the District of Columbia
Mr. DiPietro participates in a program offered by the U.S. Department of State for the return of abducted children pursuant to the Hague Convention on the Civil Aspects of International Child Abduction.